[kwlug-disc] proactive - restore a SLES box

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Wed Sep 22 13:59:00 EDT 2010

There are two ways to restore, a bare metal and a re-install/restore. I
recommend bare metal.

Regardless you'll need:

Disk configuration: hardware RAID, software RAID, partition info, LVM info,
swap info, file system sizes, types and names.

If a mainboard fails you'll need any special BIOS settings and if you're
picky firmware versions.

If it's an advancved server you may want management processor settings.

Now for bare metal restore you'll want:

IP configuration can be handy since you'll probably want network info for
the live DVD.

Backup information. Server name, IP address, etc.

Some client for your backup available in a live DVD, PXE or other boot
media.

A live DVD or bootable image with the same version of Linux and storage
tools (LVM and file systems tools in particular) and a backup client.

A full backup of all file systems. You can avoid pseudo file systems like
/proc, /sys and others.

For a re-install/restore method:

You'll want a copy of /etc and other config files. Check /usr/local and
/opt.

Look for other relevant files in /root and / and /usr/src and /usr/local.

A package list.

Data backup.

There may be more, this is from the distant memory.

  _____