[kwlug-disc] OT: weird spam outbreak

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 21 03:07:11 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:53:35AM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 01:46:56AM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> > Is there some automated attack that is breaking into these accounts
> > and using them to send spam?
>
> I assumed it was something to do with this:
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/story/10/09/09/227254/New-Email-Worm-Squirming-Through-Windows-Users-Inboxes

Oh Slashdot. You still have the same dumb comment threads in 2010 that
you had in 1999. Remind me to never read a Slashdot comment
thread again.

> But the subject lines mentioned in that story are different.
> Maybe the security hole is now being exploited by numerous spammers.

That looks like an Outlook fat-client attack. I think this one is
spreading via webmail, although I don't know for sure.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org