[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu maverick in chroot

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Sep 21 01:43:35 EDT 2010

Hi,

Hoping there are some Ubuntu gurus who can help.

I used a lucid system to create a debootstrap chroot system, and then
logged into it to do an apt-get dist-upgrade.  This usually works for
me on Debian, so I assumed it would be a quick and easy way to get
a test Ubuntu system going.

Unfortunately, installing some of the base programs like procps
requires a socket communication with upstart.  This of course fails,
since I'm not running upstart, and so the apt-get / dpkg upgrade fails,
leaving the system in an unfinished state.

Has anyone used Maverick in a chroot system, and if so, how?

Thanks,
- Chris