[kwlug-disc] OSS opportunity to go mainstream, big time

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Sep 16 22:25:38 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 5:45 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I don't know.  Why do OSS always copy and follow successful and proven
> Windows application?  I can't think of any successful business or pioneer
> idea that involves OSS.

"New" and "good" are two different adjectives.

They are not interchangeable, not matter what the PHBs say ...

Being first does not mean being best. Look at how many tablet products
preceeded the iPad and see how it is successful (in sales numbers).

Open source is a way of producing software that has proven to be successful
and useful. That does not necessarily mean that it will always be the best,
or
the most successful, or most innovative.

Even Google is not "open source".  Facebook will say, "Get of my tail."

Both companies use a lot of open source to build their infrastructure, and
it is
one factor of their success.

I will be very surprised if Facebook opens up completely its data, APIs, and

use open protocols, since this will cause them to lose their stranglehold on
user data and opens them up to competitors.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.