[kwlug-disc] OSS opportunity to go mainstream, big time

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Sep 16 19:01:16 EDT 2010

On 10-09-16 02:04 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> That is, unless Facebook themselves open up using Salmon or
> equivalent. I don't see them doing that though for obvious reasons.

XMPP has been around as an open protocol for Instant Messaging for years
now, and none of the pre-existing services have switched to XMPP or
added XMPP capability to their services or clients.  Google Talk started
off on the right foot by using XMPP right away, and as its only protocol.

I have no hope that Facebook will ever switch, but  eventually it will
become just as popular as Friendster and Frappr.  Then one of the
federated social services can pick up the slack.

It's happening to Twitter already.  Identi.ca (or Status.net) is a far
more appealing microblogging service to me - the community seems to be
much more tightly knit, although that may be because it's still fairly
small compared to Twitter.

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman<bjonkman at sobac.com>          http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office&  Business Automation   ---   Consulting