[kwlug-disc] Has the HDMI master key been cracked?

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Wed Sep 15 10:02:52 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----

> I'm looking forward to direct HD capture in MythTV from my HDCP Rogers
> box, but you final comment is the best punchline to all this. Keys can
> be revoked but since this is (allegedly) the master key, wouldn't Team
> HDCP have to invalidate *all* keys based on it and start over to clear
> this breach? Nevermind that would invalidate all pre-existing media
> and
> players signed with that key.
>
> DRM isn't bad. It's just dumb.

I'm also assuming this is the key that signs all others. Still what would a Blu-ray player do when loaded with a revocation, properly signed for a device? I'm guessing it would refuse to work with that device. So do we need individual or rotating keys on a hacker device?

Also, does this mean that someone can now send my Blu-ray player falsely revoked keys?

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware