[kwlug-disc] New geek in the area

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Sep 8 23:29:51 EDT 2010

(As this thread slowly unravels into many different strands...)

Teksavvy offers MLPPP, Multi-Link PPP.  With the right router firmware
you can bond two separate DSL lines to get double the throughput (and
double the cap if you're not on unlimited).

The MLPPP protocol adds some bytes to the Ethernet packet header; this
offsets all the other identifying bytes in the header, so Bell's DPI can
no longer identify particular kinds of traffic to throttle.

Single-line subscribers can still pay for the MLPPP service, then use
their fancy router firmware to enable Single-Link PPP, or SLPPP.  The
header offset still applies, and Bell's DPI and throttling is
effectively thwarted. MLPPP from Teksavvy costs an additional
$4.00/month/line, which also gets you a static IP and Newsgroup access.

I use modified Tomato software that supports SLPPP from
http://fixppp.org/

--Bob.