[kwlug-disc] open source on Mac without Xcode

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Sep 8 13:29:48 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 08:48:22AM -0400, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
> Xcode includes X11 and GCC, which would be required to be installed
> for MacPorts to be used. Fink is a port of Debian's apt so it requires
> no compiling. But if you want a GUI application such as Gimp,
> Inkscape, & GnuCash you will be required to install Xcode.

True, thanks.

I haven't tried Fink yet, but I did find a mention of Xcode on the
website too... so maybe that's not the solution for me yet.

I can understand if Xcode is needed for some of the Mac GUI, etc.
This is not what I'm interested in just yet.  And it should be possible
to run pure X apps on Mac without linking against Xcode.  The X protocol
is cross platform.

- Chris