[kwlug-disc] Storing loads of passwords

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 19:38:55 EDT 2010

Looking for a solution to easily store passwords in a secure manner. My
current system involves a program called gpass
(http://projects.netlab.jp/gpass/)

My problem with it is that it stores all the encrypted passwords in one
big glob, so I have a hard time sharing passwords between more than one
machine. If I were to disconnect the machines and add one unique
password to each then reconnect them, one machine would add its new
password to the other machine, but the other machine would lose its new
password because the storage is just a big glob.

I'd prefer something which stores passwords as single files (much like
tomboy notes does with notes), yet still uses only a single master
password to unlock access to all the passwords.

I've thought of running this system from a usb key, but I wouldn't want
to be out of commission if I lost the key.

Any advice in this area would be appreciated. I'm sure we all deal with
having to keep track of at least 20-30 hard-to-remember and constantly
changing passwords, but I'm certain there must be a better way.

-Johnny