[kwlug-disc] digitizing books

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri Oct 29 09:21:00 EDT 2010

Many years ago, I knew someone who clamped a book securely between
two pieces of plywood and then ran the book and plywood through a
bandsaw to trim off the spine and the binding. Then the loose pages
were fed through a good photocopier with a feeder to get hard copies
of the book.

IIRC The output of the photocopier had a  good contrast ratio and
which, if OCR was around at the time,  could then be run through a
scanner to be OCRed.

But this was before OCR scanners were common.

JohnJ