[kwlug-disc] Firesheep: Open WiFi cookie stealing for the masses ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Oct 27 17:47:32 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 04:56:34PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> >
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9193201/How_to_protect_against_Firesheep_attacks
> >
> > The root problem is sites using plain text HTTP, but there no solution
> for
> > it
> > until each and every site out there implements SSL.
> >
> > This may never happen, or will take a long time.
>
> I was going to write some reply about how having multple SSL sites on
> a shared host is hard (which is why kwlug.org has plaintext logins). But
> once again I have been proved ignorant:
>
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Apache2/SSL_and_Name_Based_Virtual_Hosts

You are missing the point.

You can solve it for the one or two sites that you run. It is an added
expense
annually, and also added effort to renew and install them.

What about the rest of the sites? Slashdot? Facebook? They are outside your
control. You can't do anything about it but wait and hope they get fixed.

What about non-web site traffic? Instant Messaging, IRC, ...etc.

Again, you have to wait ...

In the meantime, a VPN is a cure all until the world around us changes.

Looking into StrongVPN.com seriously.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.