[kwlug-disc] screen is keen

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Oct 25 22:37:59 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Daniel Allen <dada.da at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> What about screens 10 to 15 (yes, I am the same guy who had 200+ Fire
>> Fox tabs open)?
>>
>> The solution is obscure but functional:
>>
>> Ctrl-A then ' (single quote) then the screen number followed by Enter.
>>

> Also: you can name your sessions with ctrl-A shift-A.

Yes. I already do that. Give them descriptive name, either the host it is
connected
to (different sessions are to different hosts sometimes), or function.

> Then, Ctrl-A " (double-quote) gives you a list, which you can navigate with
> j (down) and k (up) or possibly with arrow keys (seems to work on some
> terminals).

I do that sometime, before I learned the single quote thing.

Up and Down arrows work fine in KDE's terminal application.

> AND (which I just discovered this afternoon) you can go to the
> first-matching session name with ctrl-A 'name (where name is the entire
> screen name, or just a unique portion).

That is neat. Mentally less taxing that finding out which terminal is which
number, but more typing I think (don't have 3 digit screens yet :-)

> Finally, you can also have xterm display the screen title in the tab-bar,
> with nothing more than a line in your .screenrc (while the below is a bash
> prompt howto, it seems to work for tcsh also):
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/x395.html

Depending on how they work, people fall in 2 categories, sessions are
dynamic and display the command being run, or they are have a fixed
title (e.g. host it is connected to).

Paul and I are on opposite sides on this one.

I have titles in .screenrc for all initial sessions, and commands to execute
e.g. connect via ssh to a certain host.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.