[kwlug-disc] screen is keen

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Oct 25 21:28:13 EDT 2010

Screen is indispensible for me. I use it daily for anything apart from
browsing, word processing.

The one thing that annoyed me was that fast switching works only
for single digits. So to switch to session 5, you did Ctrl-A then 5, and
you are there.

What about screens 10 to 15 (yes, I am the same guy who had 200+ Fire
Fox tabs open)?

The solution is obscure but functional:

Ctrl-A then ' (single quote) then the screen number followed by Enter.

Finally, after several years of using screen I found this a couple of months

ago.

Ctrl-A Ctrl-A takes you to the previous sessions, whichever it was.

The last mystery is that Ctrl-A c (create a new session) disconnects screen,
and I have to reconnect to it. Don't know why this happens, and only on
Ubuntu
8.04 not 10.04.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin