[kwlug-disc] Fast transfer protocol?

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sun Oct 24 14:50:39 EDT 2010

At 00:41 2010-10-24, you wrote:
>I can pretty much max out my gigabit connection using iperf and two
>Windows servers with built-in gigabit cards. Any other combination of
>Windows/Linux maxes out at about 60% usage.

Congrats. IMHO This was no easy feat.

In my earlier post I did say that I doubted that with "a PC" meaning
a single PC (inferring but not stating at least a receiver /
transmitter pair) one would be hard pressed to get sustained data
transfers anywhere near 1 Gigabit/sec. I thought that multiple PCs
would be needed to get the aggregate data rate up to those limits.
And a software-only utility involves the fewest internal components,
i.e. CPU, RAM, busses and bridges, and of course the network "cards".

John Johnson