[kwlug-disc] SSD Drives/desktop

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Oct 22 16:42:41 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Chris Irwin wrote, On 10/22/2010 2:15 PM:
>
>  On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:40, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Eric writes:
>>>
>>>  SD readers can be both USB and internal.  The internal ones are nice
>>>>
>>> Even if the SD socket is internally mounted it could still be connected
>>> to a
>>> USB channel.  lsusb and lspci may shed more light on the internal
>>> connectivity.
>>>

>> This is quite often the case. There was a fun bug where you could
>> "Safely Eject" your internal SD reader with
>> Nautilus/hal/udisks/whatever and it would actually cut power to the
>> device. The simplest solution to access your reader again was to
>> reboot.
>>
>> I can't think of anything that accesses an SD card not through USB.
>>

> My laptop doesn't, Asus 1201n DC Atom.
>
> I know of at least two other laptops that don't, one very recent, one I
> think 2 - 3 years old. All 3 are dual cores, 1 AMD, 1 Intel.

My laptop has the SD card reader on the PCI bus.

lspci says:

04:06.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host
Adapter (rev 22)
04:06.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
04:06.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter
(rev 12)
04:06.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)

So another one that is not USB.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.