[kwlug-disc] CC licensed music PROHIBITED at CBC.

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 8 23:28:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 11:30:16PM -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
> Want to meet the next open licensing issue?  Here you go.
>
> "Hi, Matt. You're not looking in the wrong place. There's simply no
> Creative Commons music used in this episode. By management decree, CBC
> podcasts are no longer permitted to use CC music. "
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/spark/2010/10/spark-122-october-3-6-2010/#comment-26550

Here's the reasoning:

http://www.cbc.ca/spark/2010/10/spark-122-october-3-6-2010/#comment-26666

==========
    Hi, Russell,

    It turned out that our use of Creative Commons licensed music was
going against some of the details in collective agreements we hold
with certain talent agencies. As such, we had to discontinue our use
of it.

    - Lily (CBC Radio Podcasting)

Looks like somebody's trying to protect their business model.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org - Now with Waterloo election info

All-candidates meetings Oct 12, 13, 19 at Queen Street Commons; see
http://www.theworkingcentre.org/pub/2010/2010-10-allcandidates.pdf