[kwlug-disc] Rogers Cable internet speed

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Oct 8 00:07:14 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 10/07/2010 8:18 PM:
> We discussed this on occasions before.
>
> One thing you can't criticize Rogers Cable Internet for, is speed.
>
> I am getting the nominal 10 Mbps, even from a server in Europe!
>
> 10GB of data @ 1.08 MB/s.
>
> Here is the output from wget.
>
> Length: 10,478,162,638 (9.8G) [application/x-bzip2]
>
> 100%[=========================>] 10,478,162,638    1.11M/s    ETA
> 00:00
>
> 03:26:27 (1.08 MB/s) - `performance_101004_all.tar.bz2' saved
> [10478162638/10478162638]

Agreed - except, it very much depends upon the time of day. At 3 AM, I
would hope you get good speed.

At 4 PM, not so much.

It also depends upon what you're fetching, and the nature of the
traffic. K/ubuntu iso's come down full speed, other torrents, not so much.

Something I have wondered, averaging it out, is whether 10Mbps really
matters, vis a vis, say 5Mbps - so little of my traffic is hurry up
and wait for the file to come down, and for large files, since there
is a wait involved anyways, a longer wait may not matter in the larger
scheme of things. Traffic shaped / 10 Mbps vs. not / not
insignificantly cheaper. Hmmm.

Uploads do seem to always go out at the full clip (512, as mentioned
elsewhere).  Still annoyingly slow.