[kwlug-disc] I hereby OSS my business idea

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Oct 7 11:07:18 EDT 2010

This fork is mainly not about Google.

Google has some proprietary stuff, but it is at the applications level, such
as Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, ...etc.

It is mainly about proprietary hardware drivers.

They say on their site: http://replicant.us/about/

"However, there are numerous components of the default software stack
on the HTC phones that are proprietary software. Most notably, nearly
any component that touches the hardware directly is proprietary software."

And http://replicant.us/faq/

"In addition to the dispensable “Google Experience” applications, such as
GMail and Google Maps, these components include several libraries and
drivers necessary for interfacing with the phone’s hardware. "

Note the "dispensable" part.

So it is mostly like the FSF version of Ubuntu (forget what its name was)
where WiFi and graphics drivers are all open.

>>> kwlug-disc_kwlug.org at kwlug.org
>>>

>> --
>> Glenn Cooke
>> Insurance Squared Inc.