[kwlug-disc] I hereby OSS my business idea

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Oct 5 22:36:24 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

>  On 10-10-05 08:25 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
>> gcooke at insurancesquared.com <mailto:gcooke at insurancesquared.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    I mentioned before on the list that I'd like to see a linux
>>    version of the ipad/slate/sony tablet/whatever.  I think one of
>>    you folks should find a hardware manufacturer to build one that's
>>    full of open components, [...]
>>

>> Already happened, or on its way.
>>
> [...]
>
>> The hardware is on its way, from Samsung (Galaxy Tab), Dell (Streak), and
>> others.
>>

> But is any of that open hardware, ie. with specs and circuit diagrams and
> not encumbered by patents?

No idea.

When it comes to phones the radio chips, encryption, ...etc. is all
encumbered.
Not sure about the resistive (multi-touch) screens. They may be too.

Tablets should have less restrictions, since essentially they are just
non-x86
PCs running ARM chip sets.

The point here is that there is variety (as we have seen with the aPad).
Will
they be as open as the PCs of today are? Maybe, but still manufacturing
them would not be easy, just like laptops today, though open, have a high
barrier to entry.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.