[kwlug-disc] What's the simple next level beyond OpenOffice Base?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Nov 27 02:01:33 EST 2010

rbclemen at gmail.com wrote, On 11/26/2010 4:22 PM:
> Openoffice functionality is extendable using Java. You can code
> whatever data integrity and interface requirements you have. I have
> never done it. But I was looking to try it soonish

My tests have shown that calc's data connection facilities are just
simply broken. e.g. I created a data 'view' in calc using formulae and
filters. Formulae would be of the form =sheet1.column1,
=sheet1.column4, etc., and in sheet 1 applied a filter to show 4
categories of information. For an alternative approach, I then linked
the spreadsheet within base and tried to duplicate that view via
query. By no hook, crook, or means, could I make the view match the
view built directly within calc itself. e.g. One column is completely
blank - for no apparent reason. And entire rows are missing.

	And along the way, repeatedly ran into sql errors. [Through trial and
error I chewed through those, but there is no possible way users ever
would.] Even better, having run into the error, using the back button
within the query wizard, correcting the error and moving forward
again, it would not let me run the query. [Assumption: bug in Base not
clearing an error flag upon hitting the back button, to let the query
be attempted again.] When it was all done, I then copied the query
into a new direct SQL query, and still couldn't duplicate the correct
results gained within calc directly. Other times, a direct SQL query
would error. Wait a second, submit it again, and it would work. There
is something broken in the base interface.

OpenOffice .odb files are zipped hsqldb files. To access the database
via hsqldb directly, rather than through OpenOffice, you have to
maintain a separate unzipped copy of the database files. So, every
time an openoffice user updated a spreadsheet or a database, you must
then unzip the files, for any non-openoffice app to be able to use the
database. This doesn't feel like a viable process solution.

That's not to say that your java exercise won't be effective, having
OpenOffice use mysql or some other non-native back end, but then we're
essentially back to the question in my original post. i.e. OpenOffice
might not be bringing anything to the party for you in this
configuration, that you can't get more effectively and efficiently
using a more direct tool. e.g. More 'native' front-end for MySQL.
[And, if base is broken, leveraging a java piece into the mix is still
leaving you in a broken environment.]

Not that you've said this, but nothing in my original post precluded a
java solution. If you were considering java, are you saying you know
of a java-based MS Access like IDE / front end tool?