[kwlug-disc] Barry (Solved)

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Nov 22 17:03:53 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 02:29:23PM -0500, Richard Bettridge wrote:
> Do you guys using barry for tethering or just for backups?

Hi Richard,

It should work for tethering.  If it doesn't, it would be helpful to
know.  (I'm project lead on the Barry project.)  I hope that the USB modem
protocol hasn't changed in newer devices, but if so, then more reverse
engineering is needed.

There is an outstanding issue when backing up certain databases in the
newer devices... it's a protocol change, as far as I can tell.
Test backup and restore with your device before relying on it, but
I've had good success with my devices.  When it works, it works... when
it doesn't, it will warn you that only X of Y records were backed up.

> I used to us barry to tether my device. But then found out that blueman
> supports tethering over Bluetooth.

The bluetooth tethering is more standard, and is part of the kernel.
That's good, since it shouldn't change from device to device in the future.

- Chris