[kwlug-disc] Virtualization allocation?

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Sat Nov 6 07:35:32 EDT 2010

I think virtualization is useful. It saves on hardware costs and electrical
costs, at least for those of us who use newer systems.

Virtualization partly exists to deal with server sprawl. Everytime many orgs
needed a new service they obediently bought a new server and new OS license
and created a new problem. Virtualization was the solution to the high cost
of rack space, maintenance warranties, electrical and cooling costs and the
cost of migrating the server to new hardware every so often.

The next problem around the corner, in my mind, is vm sprawl. Now that it's
easy to create a new vm we have even more. Maintenance of these will be the
next issue.

To summarize: splitting up simple services into seperate vms is still a
problem. Having many more systems to keep updated and secure I think
decreases security.

Not only that but you need precious ram and disk space for each instance.
Instead of using say 2GiB of ram for one system that does it all you need 5
x 2GiB. On big-ass machines disk and ram can get pricey.

We use virtualization because we want to use less resources. It also gives
us the ability to more easily migrate vms to different hardware. Failure or
just age may be the reason for the move.

Another value we see is that we are now running on diagnoseable hardware
(ECC, etc.) So when a system fails we are more confident if it's bad
hardware.

You may also consider the advantage of less power consumption in both server
and cooling. You may consider the remote access feature: starting and
stopping vms remotely.

For hardware for large vms external storage is a must, usually iSCSI or
fibrechannel. Having it shared means being able to do things like failover
to another host. Having it external (ie in a storage system) means security
and on-line modifications and expansion.

Add as much ram/disk as you can because once people start using vms they add
more all the time and those two constraints are usually the issue.

The downside is that some administration or failures may mean powering off
or losing all servers. To deal with this people use redundant hosts with hot
swappable disk and p/s. The bigger ones put in shared storage and a
redundant host and do live migration of running vms.