[kwlug-disc] Cash becoming illegal?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Nov 5 14:39:22 EDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Eric Gerlach
<eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca<eric%2Bkwlug at gerlach.ca>
> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com>
> wrote:
> > Conversely if you were told you would be charged that same 2% to
> > 4% more because you're using a credit card would you still use it?
>
> Worst part is, as a vendor we're not allowed to charge different
> prices for credit cards.  Part of the agreement.

That is here, and now.

Many years ago, I used to get discounts for buying cash from electronic
vendors in places like Saudi Arabia and Dubai. They know they will lose
2% to the card issuer, and hence would give that back to you if you pay
by cash.

It is just common business sense.

If the agreement said you can't do that, then it is an artificial barrier to

these vendors.

Don't think it changed much over there, although I can't be sure ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.