[kwlug-disc] Cash becoming illegal?

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Fri Nov 5 12:24:21 EDT 2010

> I don't have a driver's licence. I use a passport as my official
> government ID. I don't have a debit or credit card either, don't
> particularly want one, and am increasingly unhappy about the
> transition to "cashless" transactions.
>
> In my case I tend to use money orders, but if Glenn is setting a trend
> of not accepting those either, then I am in trouble.
>
> - Paul

I see this problem with a Muslim friend who happens to live in a developing country where credit cards are generally not accepted. So there is no commercial reason to have one and to some degree there is a religious reason not to have one as well.

Although he can purchase what he needs locally with cash, he cannot take part in the Internet society. He has Internet, but how might be purchase a domain name, or web service. Aren't they all credit card based?  This affects large populations in certain societies.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware