[kwlug-disc] Yesterday in C-32 news

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 22:29:16 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 11/4/10, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> This will do nothing to stop those pirates, and everything
> to stop people who are trying to redistribute open-source
> multimedia applications openly.

Hence my indictment. If locking won't stop illegal sharing, then that's not the true reason for locking, just the excuse.

Oh, and if you are concerned about the content creators are the ones being stiffed, then you are pointing at the wrong pirates. Media companies have been stiffing them with slave-like contracts for a long time. Sometimes some of them make it big and the peanuts they receive are worth something, but that's not the case for everyone.

That may have been OK when they owned the distribution channels (Radio, TV, record labels), now they don't control the Internet so they want to lock that market. I am not a conspirationist, I just don't think they are stupid.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx