[kwlug-disc] BASH compare items in two files

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 14:28:28 EDT 2010

On 03/11/2010 2:17 PM, John Van Ostrand wrote:
>  Use the document object model in some language. I presume that's what sax does.

Nope, SAX (Simple API for XML) is an event-based parsing API*.  SAX
parsers read through a document from beginning to end and fire events
for each beginning tag, end tag, character string, etc. that they
encounter.

This would probably work reasonably well for a simple count of certain
tags like Richard described, but more complicated uses (like "count all
the foos which are children of bazzes") are probably easier using a DOM
parser.  DOM parsers are probably more approachable.

* http://www.saxproject.org/event.html