[kwlug-disc] [OT] QOS router

J W jeff.w.bulk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:55:34 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-01, at 3:32 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> On 10-11-01 11:19 AM, Jeff Welling wrote:
>
>> QoS is a way of classifying packets, commonly done by looking at the
>> DiffServ/TOS field in IP packets and grouping them together into
>> different classes of service.  Packets are then pulled from the
>> highest priority queue and are sent out over the line until that
>> queue is empty, at which point it moves on to the next highest
>> priority queue and repeats until the outbound speed limit is met or
>> it runs out of packets to send.
>

> I don't think it can be that simple.  If so, any incoming traffic on Queue 1 would block all traffic in lower queues.
Exactly. I was describing one of the most basic algorithms, and the
one described was not fair.  An example of a better one is the
Stochastic Fairness Queue, which is discussed in the LARTC along with
a couple others.

I was only trying to give a general idea of how it worked, but I think
I forgot to clarify that :)