[kwlug-disc] [OT] QOS router

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 1 11:34:31 EDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 11:19:56AM -0400, Jeff Welling wrote:

> So you _can_ implement shaping/policing on incoming traffic, but
> it's inadvisable if alternatives are available, like having your ISP
> do it for you.  I'm not aware of any ISPs that are willing to do
> that for you though.

We received a combined router/firewall from Sympatico that appears to
do something like this. It prioritizes incoming traffic to certain
IPs. I use this to prioritize traffic going to our VoIP ATA. I have
not subjected it to stress testing but anecdotally it appears to work.

Is this a different technology? It is very much a black-box technology
to me.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org