[kwlug-disc] Quit Facebook Day..

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Mon May 31 14:18:38 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Oksana Goertzen <ogoertzen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So what are the alternatives to Facebook?
>> What do other people like? Anyone using an open source alternative?
>
> http://identi.ca
>
> Bob's set up a KWLUG group and everything: http://identi.ca/group/kwlug
>
> I'm waiting for a federated, open source social network system where
> you can limit access to content (Facebook's killer feature as I see
> it, even if they don't).  Nothing exists yet.  Diaspora has that as
> its design goal, but that's pure vapourware right now.  I'll believe
> it when it's code.

Actually, I almost forgot: Livejournal is open source.  Not federated,
though.  But you can limit access to friends.

I don't entirely trust the current administrators of the LJ servers,
but the code is available if you want to set up your own.  And some
people have, creating Dreamwidth and others.

I'm flying-squirrel.livejournal.com, although I just echo my blog there.

Darcy.