[kwlug-disc] PostgreSQL vs SQL Server Installation Faceoff

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 12:08:48 EDT 2010

--- On Mon, 5/31/10, Fernando Duran <liberosec at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> A bit silly but for the Windows people who think everything is easier on a graphical
> environment:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tacsV4PVmCw
>
> TL;DR: Postgres installs from the Internet in 42 seconds
> with one command, SQL Server takes several minutes

I think that before sending it around, ensure that they are comparing apples to apples.

SQL Server installs a bunch of management and integration tools along with the database engine.

I haven't seen the video (I'm at the office) but I'll be paying attention when I do.

I still think that it is painful to install SW in Windows once you get used to the Linux way but I also think that unfair comparisons are in detriment of the message.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx