[kwlug-disc] Web references on issues of router behind router?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat May 29 01:21:15 EDT 2010

It looks like you're right - it's only private addresses that don't
get passed on the WAN.

Without other change, I set the WAN ip address to 181.0.0.1, gateway
181.0.0.254, and connected it via USB ethernet adapter to a computer
at 181.0.0.5. A wi-fi computer on the LAN side was able to ping the
computer on the WAN side.

Looks like a WAN private address space address is not being passed by
the router. I'm astonished - I never credited any router with having
that much intelligence.

Especially as I have seen traffic wherein an internal host tries to
register itself in DNS using a private address space IP. [The
wikipedia article notes the private address space reverse dns problem.]

I don't understand why such a router would refuse to pass the WAN
private address space packets, yet allow DNS registrations with
private address space IPs to go out.

Thank you, mystery solved, and my observations explained - that even
with a 'malformed' translation I didn't even at least see the echo
request come in to a computer.

Unfortunately, googling did not reveal any useful information or proof
of this - I must be using the wrong search terms.

Thank you again.