[kwlug-disc] unclear about PCI/USB host bus and device addressing

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon May 24 21:03:48 EDT 2010

----- "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> since i'm just about to rewrite some linux USB driver documentation,
> i figure i should nail down the mechanics of PCI/USB addressing.
>
>   starting with PCI, as i've always understood it, a full PCI address
> is
>
>   domain:bus:slot.func
>
> where the "domain" part is irrelevant unless you have more than one
> host bridge on your system.

Out of curiosity I checked some of the beefiest servers we have in production and none of them have more than one PCI domain.

Too bad you didn't ask two weeks ago, we just had really big multi-chassis servers in here which might have had more than one PCI domain. It may be a while until I have another pair to check out.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware