[kwlug-disc] Netgear WNDR3700, further details. [Was: Re: Fwd: [TLUG]: Dlink DIR-825 wireless router one-day sale $119.99]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat May 22 07:30:12 EDT 2010

Lori Paniak wrote, On 05/22/2010 6:45 AM:
> This is your new Netgear, correct?
>
> Why not use the latest firmware, Backfire?
>
> http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03/

That's a longer more involved answer. Has more to do with learning
curve than anything else - there are only so many hours in day, too
many things to learn about beyond OpenWRT, and one must prioritize.
Fear, intimidation, lack of command line knowledge, etc. (-:

	No doubt, once the learning curve is crossed, I'll feel silly.

For the moment I intended to run stock firmware, explore, be happy.
And some day, when time permits, explore OpenWRT.

I posted the message more for people like Khalid, who would be
reassured that the device came running OpenWRT.

Having now just spent a few hours wandering around the OpenWRT web
site, and not feeling like I've come out of it knowing much more than
I did going in to it ...

Some day, probably within a few days, the way things are going.

Original purpose was to gain 802.11n and another gb switch, not as a
gateway. Perhaps another backup repository off the usb, too.

I'm still a little conflicted in terms of gateway device - having
played with LinuxMCE (gave up due to poor attitude in forums), there
is clearly a certain advantage to having the gateway device be
MythBuntu rather than have it behind OpenWRT. OTOH, OpenWRT brings a
great deal of functionality in a black box with has a certain attraction.

I'm also mindful of your comment that before jumping into a black box
one should understand the nature of the box - so if I was going to go
OpenWRT, your comment of experiencing it on a full PC, first, makes a
certain amount of sense.

The whole learning curve issue(s) is why I still don't have a
MythBuntu box with compatibility / dazuko and asterisk running, with
courier e-mail / egroupware, and more, in vm's. There is only so much
time in a day, and a significant intimidation factor(s).

>>> kwlug-disc_kwlug.org at kwlug.org