[kwlug-disc] The least hassle upgrade in years ...

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon May 17 12:28:34 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 08:09, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists
account) <aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:
> On Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:26:42 pm Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>> I have to say that this was the least hassle on upgrading for quite a few
>> years.
>
> I agree 100%; 9.04 -> 9.10 was painful and I ended up installing 9.10 fresh,
> but 9.10 -> 10.04 was painless.

I actually had a partially-failed upgrade. I'm not sure what caused it
specifically, but the upgrade manager gui was waiting at a prompt (I
believe it was a confirmation for config differences). When I came
back to the machine and tried to answer the prompt, X crashed and
restarted, leaving a bunch of packages in an unconfigured state. I
managed to recover using some dpkg-fu, but ended up just reinstalling
anyway.

Fortunately I ran `apport-bug` against the update manager before I
wiped the machine. Unfortunately it didn't include all the log files
needed to diagnose the issue.

> The only weird thing I noticed was that my mouse acceleration values needed to
> be tweaked, and all my font sizes had to be bumped up. It's as if the DPI was
> messed with.

I always set my dpi (Appearance>Fonts>Details) based on the output of
`xdpyinfo | grep dots`, which should pull it from your actual screen.
It would be nice if this was automatic. I have no idea how this works
(or doesn't) with multiple screens.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>