[kwlug-disc] The least hassle upgrade in years ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun May 16 23:26:42 EDT 2010

Just finished upgrading the last laptop in the house from Kubuntu 9.10 to
10.04.
Score: 4 laptops, one desktop.

I have to say that this was the least hassle on upgrading for quite a few
years.
Hardware that did not work before and required a lot of manual steps now
works fine. This includes a pesky Broadcom wireless on a Dell, certain sound
on a Toshiba, an Intel 5100 wirelss on another Toshiba, and an Intel display
on yet another Toshiba that was working as VESA until today!

The upgrade did not break anything, it actually fixed the above list.

Because KDE NetworkManager has proven to be problematic, I have been
used the little gem that is Wicd. Remember to remove KDE network manager
and its dependencies and Wicd will work.

A small workaround was made in order for Wicd to be able to run a script for
one one access point (to mount NFS shares), but that is about it.

I am happy with Kubuntu 10.04. Job well done from Canonical.

And with 10.04 being an LTS, I am most likely going to skip the next release
or two.

Only the server remains on 8.04, and that is because of PHP 5.3 which has
issues with some contributed Drupal module (pass by reference). Someone
backported PHP 5.2, but I will hold off on all that for now. I am not
inclined to
mix and match repositories with all the issues that could cause.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.