[kwlug-disc] recommendations for wireless ethernet bridge?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sun May 16 13:09:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 12:55 -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> zixiekat at gmail.com wrote, On 05/16/2010 11:59 AM:
> > I currently do this with a Linksys WTG54GL and dd-wrt. The router
> > connects to a remote wifi point and provides net access to clients
> > connected to the switch on the router (and in my case, clients can
> > also use a virtual wireless network, so I don't have to use the
> > wired ports if I don't want to.)
>
> 'Virtual wireless'?
>
> Sounds like you're having one radio connecting to another's, and at
> the same time providing (relay) connectivity for wi-fi computers. Am I
> reading that correctly?
>
> I take it from the comments in this thread that it's hw possible to
> both 'receive' (accept clients to 'my' wi-fi SSID) / 'transmit'
> (connect to another AP) / 'relay' (have same SSID as that other AP) on
> one radio. That's not something I see much on retail packages - so is
> that due to sw limitations / complexity then? (vs hw limitations.)

I actually use WDS.  Each satellite router connects to the gateway
router wirelessly.  There is one SSID in the system and one DHCP server.
The satellite routers serve as wireless repeaters and offer wired
connections with system DHCP via their switch ports. The WDS
functionality is apparently an undocumented feature of the Linksys WRT
routers.  It is much better documented in OpenWRT.

The more simple case is to use the router as a client to connect to the
existing system wifi network.  Then you can adjust the switch
configuration so the LAN ports on the device serve system DHCP.

Clear as mud?  Maybe Rob should bring in a router for a 20 minute
demo...