[kwlug-disc] recommendations for wireless ethernet bridge?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun May 16 12:55:29 EDT 2010

zixiekat at gmail.com wrote, On 05/16/2010 11:59 AM:
> I currently do this with a Linksys WTG54GL and dd-wrt. The router
> connects to a remote wifi point and provides net access to clients
> connected to the switch on the router (and in my case, clients can
> also use a virtual wireless network, so I don't have to use the
> wired ports if I don't want to.)

'Virtual wireless'?

Sounds like you're having one radio connecting to another's, and at
the same time providing (relay) connectivity for wi-fi computers. Am I
reading that correctly?

I take it from the comments in this thread that it's hw possible to
both 'receive' (accept clients to 'my' wi-fi SSID) / 'transmit'
(connect to another AP) / 'relay' (have same SSID as that other AP) on
one radio. That's not something I see much on retail packages - so is
that due to sw limitations / complexity then? (vs hw limitations.)

Bob, FWIW, I saw one or more TP-Link boxes at Canada Computer some
weeks back that do this out of the box. Not as elegant a solution as
OpenWRT. The boxes were for people in, say, trailers, getting wi-fi
from a park, and providing hard links within the trailer. At least one
also relayed the park wi-fi for in trailer use - presumably the box
wi-fi was stronger to reach an AP than might be present in, say, a
laptop. I don't remember how much they were, but they weren't stupid
expensive. Certainly the also provided an in-trailer wi-fi / hard
experience, so, for example, the laptop in the trailer could get to
the printer, without a physical wire.