[kwlug-disc] How Canonical makes money ...

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sat May 15 22:37:33 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 21:23 -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:53:24PM -0400, Lori Paniak wrote:
> > The part I don't get is the talk of supporting "two, three distros".
> > Yes, there are differences between the distributions, but deep down,
> > gcc is gcc, X is X and Linux is Linux.
> When reading about website design, the part I don't get is the talk of
> supporting "two, three browsers".  Yes, there are differences between
> browser implementations, but deep down, HTML is HTML and CSS is CSS
> and JavaScript is JavaScript.
> - Paul

Yeah, what's up with that? Too bad there aren't any web standards...

Actually I'd put your example in the (logically) "superficial" category.
The backend is the same for the web pages you serve - only the end
wrapper has to be tweaked for pretty pictures to appear in the correct
places.  You don't have to re-write mysql for each different browser.  I