[kwlug-disc] How Canonical makes money ...

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Sat May 15 22:25:13 EDT 2010

----- "Paul Nijjar" <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> When reading about website design, the part I don't get is the talk
> of
> supporting "two, three browsers".  Yes, there are differences between
> browser implementations, but deep down, HTML is HTML and CSS is CSS
> and JavaScript is JavaScript.

Perfect example Paul, except sarcasm should have been part of your post.

If you stay only with the HTML, CSS and JavaScript that works identically between browsers your good.

If you want to put in anything AJAX then you need to differentiate. CSS is also problematic even if you don't get too fancy. And there are many other examples of incompatibility.

Even base Drupal themes detect IE and do things differently. Do a "grep -r IE themes/*" in a drupal install.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware