[kwlug-disc] Go Daddy Backorder?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Wed May 12 14:15:53 EDT 2010

This is all true, including that Richard knows a good lawyer :).

Just be careful.   Prying a domain out of someone can be a tricky
business.  I've bought a number of domains through the years and in many
cases folks are reasonable.  One phone call, offer an amount, send the
paypal out, and done.  I bought two fabulous domains last month from a
domain-squatter for $200 just for asking.

Once in a while you'll get either a real low life that will cybersquat
on a trademark and demand 10k but a phone call doesn't change that
situation anyway.  If they're going to be sane about it then lawyering
up first can turn them sour.  So I much prefer starting with a call.
And actually a call, not an email. You want this personal.

In this case they've let the domain drop so I'd approach it thusly -
call them tonite and tell them you want the domain, and for what
reason.  Be open.  Then explain that if they wait until it drops then it
goes to auction and you risk not getting the domain. So you'll offer
them $500 today plus the cost of the re-registration to go and get the
domain again, then transfer it to you.  Otherwise, for any more than
$500 you'll risk either the auction or that they reregister and squat,
and you'll find another domain name.

You can change the $500 to whatever your tolerance is but as I noted,
I'd recommend going with a strong offer upfront. Any less and you don't
look serious.  Much more and you're starting to look desperate and they
may try fishing.  I've always liked the $500 amount because I think it
puts them in the frame of mind '$500 bucks, easy, let's not screw around
and lose the deal'.  Offer them $1000 and they may be more apt to ask
for $2000.

That's been my experience to date.  Throw out a strong offer and if
they're serious they'll bite.