[kwlug-disc] Choose your price for five Linux indie games

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue May 11 14:22:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 14:22, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:
> These guys are offering five DRM-free, Linux-compatible indie games
> (World of Goo, Gish, Aquaria, Lugaru, Penumbra) for whatever price you
> want to pay.  And you can choose to have them donate some or all of
> that price to charity (Child's Play and the EFF).
>
> http://www.wolfire.com/humble
>
> No, it's not free software, but it is kind of awesome.

They announced that if they reach one million dollars, they will
release the source for Gish, Lugaru, and Penumbra Overture. I'm not
sure what license specifically, or if that also covers artwork and
resources, but it is definately interesting.

I threw in $25 and grabbed the Linux builds. They are currently at
$976,723, with about 1.5 hours left. Looks like they might make it.

Also, Linux users are still paying roughly twice what windows users
are. According to the graph, it looks like we're roughly 25% of the
sales, with Windows being about 50%. Which means that we are on almost
an equal finacial footing with Windows users. Interesting.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>