[kwlug-disc] Linux capable Wireless N routers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat May 8 15:36:58 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 05/08/2010 12:50 PM:
> Still searching for a Linux capable Wireless N router (via dd-wrt, or
> OpenWRT).
>
> *Background*
> The need here is not move from Wireless G to N since we have a few laptops
> that support that now. The other main need is to monitor bandwidth usage per
> IP Address or MAC Address when needed.
>
> The other day, I saw high bandwidth going on the network and could only
> trace it by elimination (go to each powered on computer, and closing tab by
> tab in Firefox until the traffic stopped). Turned out to be a web site (
> deviantart.com) that was open in a browser tab. That page had a flash
> application that kept loading large images from a gallery. We installed
> NoScript on this machine and that should help with random flash apps like
> these.
>
> The tool I am looking for is iftop, which shows the IP addresses and how
> much each is downloading and from what host.

Somewhat as Brad suggests, you might consider multiple devices.

e.g. A PC (running OpenWRT?) next to the ISP modem, and a wireless
router somewhere else in your net (so you can restrict by MAC address
and/or IP, to only your internal net). Perhaps even a smart switch you
can query to distinguish between internal traffic (on this switch)
versus external traffic (on the other). This may facilitate a DMZ web
server.

OTOH, I suspect this feature set will always command a premium. What's
your time worth? You could just buy it and get on with your day.