[kwlug-disc] On lowering new member hurdles & comment cards.

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu May 6 22:48:15 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Lori Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>wrote:

> I've been enjoying the refreshing vacuum of KWLUG for almost five years
> now.
>
> In that time, the direction-less and poorly documented membership of
> KWLUG has been instrumental in several remarkable FLOSS achievements in
> SWO and beyond: Ontario Linux Fest, Open Street Map, numerous FLOSS
> projects, FLOSS fund...  and stimulated other groups with similar
> free/libre perspectives.  I would go as far as to say that KWLUG is the
> flagship Linux User Group in the country on the basis of vitality,
> (anarchic) organization and tangible impact.
>
> So what is it, exactly, that we are trying to fix?

I agree with Lori.

I like some of the ideas tossed around: reaching out for new audience,
getting
us advertised somewhere (e.g. The Record community events), newbie night,
social, ...etc.

We are fortunate that our group is really active and has frequent
interesting
talks with high attendance.

Contrast that with GTA LUG (with Toronto being the center of the universe
and all). They had noticeably lower attendance when I was giving the LAMP
talk there. Perhaps 15 to 20 compared to around 30 in KW.

Whatever else we do, should be in addition to, not in lieu of,  what is
working
now. It should not overlap in time or space lest we lose momentum.

Think AND not OR, and specially not XOR.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.