[kwlug-disc] consider an alternative to monthly presentations ...

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu May 6 17:01:34 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 02:52:32PM -0400, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> ----- "Paul Nijjar" <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 10:46:03AM -0700, Raul Suarez wrote:
> > > Good observations:
> > >
> > > - Agree that not everything is a presentation.
> >

> We have not had a social event in a long time. Perhaps it's time for one.

November? People will be all partied out by December. Also having
social nights in December is a cliche.

If somebody else thinks this is a good idea I can make it official.

We could schedule another Linux fair six months after that, in May
2011, if people want to be that farsighted.

There is nothing stopping us from having a bit of social time in the
June meeting, either.

> Rob's OP reminds me that we do tend to work hard to find
> presentations and only default to something else when we can't find
> anyone.

I agree. I think that social nights fail when they are treated as
filler. If we know a bit in advance we can poke people to be
spontaneous by bringing gadgets, "pin the tail on the penguin" games
and other conversation-starters. This is also helpful when trying to
advertise social nights on the website an in meeting announcements.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org