[kwlug-disc] New user breakout sessions

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed May 5 19:31:39 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 05/05/2010 6:49 PM:
> I am leaning towards what Richard said: start the meeting at 6 am and those
> who are able to help are there to answer questions.
>
> For a newcomer, they would not be torn between listening to a talk and
> having their questions answered.

Problem is, historically, and Paul, please contradict me if I'm wrong,
people don't / can't show up by then.

So, we would be available to provide assistance at a time when there
is nobody to provide assistance to. Which, I suspect, is why this time
ceased. i.e. We are attempting to satisfy a need that doesn't exist,
then get discouraged and stop offering.

Again, I'm guessing. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has any hard
data to know what we're trying to address, to know what will address
it. Perhaps, then, this is an evolving trial and error effort.

But, IIRC, this early time has been tried, and petered out. If that's
correct, is reinstating it really going to take us to a different result?

Maybe we really do need meeting comment cards to gather data? Or an
anonymous web site drop box for comments / suggestions - perhaps one
that merely redirects to an e-mail address?