[kwlug-disc] Can someone help?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Wed May 5 10:41:07 EDT 2010

As others have noted, the original way to integrate various parts of a
web page together was through SSI's, or what John's suggested, and other
ways.  But that's 10 years ago.  So layout and content were kept
seperate in different files.

Today the correct way it's done is to seperate the layout and content is
through a CMS (Content management system).  You don't include parts of
files, you have a program that keeps most of this stuff in a database
and pieces it together on the fly.  It's designed to work well for
dynamic content sites, but works just as well for static content sites.

The two most likely candidates for a CMS are wordpress and Drupal.
Wordpress is far and away the most commonly used.  Drupal is far and
away better from a technical perspective.

We're now talking way off the OT, but if you're starting fresh on a
site, you really should look at a CMS rather than some version of server
side includes.