[kwlug-disc] question about querying ubuntu metapackages(?)

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue May 4 14:21:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 13:47 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> thoroughly immersed in lucid lynx, and i find i want to do some
> development which will require the bad craziness that is the suite of
> autotools, so i'm curious and i run:
>
> $ apt-cache search automake
> automake - A tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant Makefiles
> automake1.10 - A tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant Makefiles
> automake1.4 - A tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant Makefiles
> automake1.9 - A tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant Makefiles
> automake1.9-doc - A tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant Makefiles
> autotools-dev - Update infrastructure for config.{guess,sub} files
> gnome-common - common scripts and macros to develop with GNOME
> pkg-config - manage compile and link flags for libraries
> qt3-designer - Qt3 Designer
> automake1.7 - A tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant Makefiles
> autoproject - create a skeleton source package for a new program
> ftjam - FreeType version of Jam, a replacement for make
> jam - Software-build tool, replacement for make
> libticables-dev - support library for Texas Instruments link cables
> [development files]
> $
>
>    now, given that there are multiple versions of automake shown
> above, i have to assume that if i choose to install "automake", well,
> what exactly is going to happen?  and what incantation will explain to
> me what the package "name" of "automake" really represents?  a
> specific version?  all versions?  what?  thanks.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  this ubuntu thing isn't half bad.

Run "aptitude"
Search for automake (/automake)
In 9.10, I get something like this highlighted:

automake                               <none>  1:1.11-1

Hence, apt-get install automake  will get you ver. 1.11.  The other
versions immediately follow in the aptitude listing with version
details.  Choose the one you like best.