[kwlug-disc] "What Linux Distro Should I Use?"

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 02:02:41 EDT 2010

I am all for new users presentations. e.g. My presentation on development languages and environments is meant as an introduction to Linux programming (yes, I'll send the abstract very soon). Personally I feel like a new user at most of the presentations. That's what makes it interesting for me. Learning things I didn't know before.

But how frequently do we want to have a presentation about "what is Linux"?

I hope we have new/curious users every meeting but eventually the new users will become more experienced.

So the challenge is how to facilitate the integration of new users; helping them understand the basic concepts that will, in turn, help them understand the topics presented. This has to be done on a regular basis as there will always be new users.

Here is some brainstorming (most have pros and cons:
- Revive the 6:00 - 7:00 slot? or maybe the 6:30 - 7:00 slot;
- Implement Bill's idea regarding having a volunteer every meeting go to a separate area and introduce new users to "What is linux?";
- Add a few pages to the KWLUG site with references and links to videos, tutorials and documents for new users. (We don't need to write them. there are enough resources available);
- Have a volunteer host a "post meeting" gathering with new users;
- Team with the Working Centre computer recycling program.  We can ask if they have volunteers interested on presenting Beginner Linux training classes. Or one of us could volunteer one hour once a month. e.g. me. Or even train the trainers.

Do the people in the list have more ideas? Remember, it is brainstorming. We can narrow down them later.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/