[kwlug-disc] "What Linux Distro Should I Use?"

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue May 4 00:12:33 EDT 2010

Over the past few meetings I have been getting a bit of feedback from
new KWLUGgers. They have been telling me that while the meetings have
been interesting, the content has been way over their heads.

That got me thinking about another question I have been running into:
what linux distro people should start with.

One direction this takes me is to suggest that we make an explicit
attempt to schedule some more newbie-friendly meetings, and label them
as such on the website.

Another horrible direction is that I have been pondering whether to
give a presentation on this topic. However, I don't know whether this
is a terrible idea or just a really bad one. (Also, the next available
KWLUG slot is November, assuming Khalid, Andrew, Brad or somebody else
has not snapped it up already. I would present sooner if I spoke at
Software Freedom Day or Ontario Linux Fest.)

Recently I heard Richard give this talk in five minutes. It was pretty
excellent. That leads me to believe that this might be a good final
talk for the June meeting, if Richard or somebody was willing to risk
his or her life by giving it.

Thoughts?

- Paul

--