[kwlug-disc] Why Encrypt? [Was: Re: OT - degauss/wipe a dead hard drive/LTO tapes]

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Mon May 3 19:16:47 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
> There's the option of putting your GPG passphrase and login / root passwords
> in a safe with your lawyer, but that is just not geeky enough for my
> tastes.  And I feel better with my GPG passphrase only in my own head.

I'd say this preserves posterity pretty well. Think of all of the
important memoirs
that could be in your encrypted home directory! A hundred years from now they
could be priceless!

Perhaps modern law needs a kind of thing equivalent to a will where when you
die, all of your passwords become available to your family. (And it would have
it be done in a secure way so that CRACKERS! don't get at the document.)